Friday, May 1, 2009

Want to Smell Something?

I don't normally talk about my personal life on this blog, but I thought I'd share this moment:

"Want to smell something really good?" asked my 9-year-old son, Alexander, as we were waiting in line at Sonic this morning.

"Sure." I thought it was going to be some food or candy or nuts... this week he's started packing his own lunch because his parents apparently don't know how.

Alexander fiddled with his backpack for a moment and then pulled out his brand new copy of Charlotte's Web, which they're reading in class. He fanned the pages under his nose and inhaled -- "Mmmmmmmmmmmm" -- then passed it to me.

I smelled it. Mmmmmmmmm. Gentle smell of cheap pulp paper and cheap ink. Not exactly like a fresh copy of F&SF when I was twelve, but close. Very close.

There's a saying: The apple doesn't fall far from the tree. Such are the moments of being a parent.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I know what you mean, when all my friends were hanging out at the mall, I was getting lost in a four story book store. It was "The Tattered Cover" book store in Denver.

Dal Jeanis said...

Yeah. Funny how smells bring back so many memories. I'm glad that Alexander and I share this one.